What happened in 1976 with gbs and the swine flu vaccine?

Sl. Increase GBS. Guillian-barre syndrome (gbs) is a rare condition causing weakness and even paralysis. It usually heals well. Getting gbs from a vaccine is extremely rare, but in 1976 a slight increase in gbs occurred in people who got the swine flu vaccine. The CDC monitors for gbs associated with any vaccines closely. You chance of complications of flu are far greater than for gbs.
History. The vaccine was put on the market over the objections of the physician organizations who believed that not enough testing was done. Ongoing surveillance suggested an increase in guillain- barre syndrome with injection of this vaccine, so it was stopped.