Brca2 age 68. Should I get madtectomy?

Dr. Todd Sisto
Breast Surgery

In brief: Options:

are 1 prophylactic mastectomy with immediate reconstruction (see a plastic surgeon for both), 1 taking a drug for 5 years (see an oncologist), or very close surveillance alone- though I wouldn't recommend the 3d option.
.. Have family members get gene testing

In brief: Options:

.. Have family members get gene testing
Dr. Todd Sisto
Dr. Todd Sisto
Dr. Sumit Sawhney
Internal Medicine - Oncology

In brief: No data

Life time risk is high with brca2 but age after 50 unsure how much true benefit you are likely to obtain from mastectomy.

In brief: No data

Dr. Sumit Sawhney
Dr. Sumit Sawhney
Dr. Yash Khanna

In brief: Breast ca mastectomy

You should discuss with you doctors, oncologist and if they recommend mastectomy then you go through it and if there recommendation is lumpectomy then thats the treatment.
You do need chemotherapy and radiation treatment along with the surgical excision that is mastectomy or lumpectomy.

In brief: Breast ca mastectomy

Dr. Yash Khanna
Dr. Yash Khanna