My daughter takes albuterol for asthma. Im being told that albuterol causes lung cancer. Is this true.?

Dr. Liawaty Ho
Internal Medicine - Hematology & Oncology
In brief: Not true
Not true. No reliable study to show the evidence that albuterol causes lung cancer.

In brief: Not true
Dr. Liawaty Ho
Dr. Liawaty Ho
David Miller
In brief: Not likely
Albuterol has been the standard-of-care for asthma for a very long time.
That means that literally millions of people have been using this drug for a very long time. If it caused lung cancer, it would be all over the news and would have been pulled from the market years ago. Unfortunately, there is no shortage of folks who spread rumors without serious thought as to their truthfulness.

In brief: Not likely
David Miller
David Miller
Answer assisted by David Miller, Medical Student
2 comments
Dr. Katharine Garnier
If your daughters asthma is well controlled, she shouldn't need albuterol on a regular basis, (no more than 2-3x a week), but even daily use has not been associated with any hint of lung cancer!
Dr. Katharine Garnier
many people who have to use albuterol have been, or are smokers, so that may be where the rumor started
Dr. LUIS IRIZARRY
In brief: Smoking
Albuterol is a rescue medication when wheezing, short of breath. If using it more than 2 days per week, your doctor needs to consider prevention/maintenance meds. The purpose is to avoid attacks and use of albuterol.

In brief: Smoking
Dr. LUIS IRIZARRY
Dr. LUIS IRIZARRY
In brief: No
There are no reputable studies that support this claim.

In brief: No
Dr. Josephine Ruiz-Healy
Dr. Josephine Ruiz-Healy
Dr. Ed Kaplan
In brief: No
No.

In brief: No
No.
Dr. Ed Kaplan
Dr. Ed Kaplan
Dr. Gary Steven
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology
In brief: Wow! I mean, No!
I've heard a lot of goofy things, but this one takes the cake.
Not only can't a molecule like albuterol cause cancer, there isn't even an increased risk of lung cancer in asthmatics that could be mistakenly attributed to albuterol use. Somebody just made this up.

In brief: Wow! I mean, No!
Dr. Gary Steven
Dr. Gary Steven
Dr. Shontae Buffington