I have had the mirena (levonorgestrel) for almost 2 yrs and my periods stoped after 1 month but why do I sometimes bleed like once a year?

In brief: Normal
Mirena (levonorgestrel) is a Progesterone coated iud, and the Progesterone is what causes the change in your cycles; most women with it experiance fewer or no cycles.
It it not unusual to have ocasional bleeding with it.

In brief: Normal
Dr. Kitturah Schomberg-Klaiss
Dr. Kitturah Schomberg-Klaiss
Dr. Michael Goodman
Gynecology
In brief: Normal w/Mirena
Sometimes Mirena (levonorgestrel) stops periods altogether, but more normally there is some period bleeding occasionally.
The hormone in the shaft of Mirena (levonorgestrel) prevents endometrium (the inner uterine lining) from building up, so there is little or no tissue to bleed when you "cycle...".

In brief: Normal w/Mirena
Dr. Michael Goodman
Dr. Michael Goodman
Dr. Jane Van Dis