After having a baby my wedding ring seems to be irritating my skin. My finger turns bright red and the skin peels off. What can I do?

Dr. Jose Soto
In brief: The ring On and Off
Most likely a contact dermatitis.
You are washing your hands more frequently. Soap and other desinfectants remain under the ring in close contact with the skin. This triggers a chemical reaction which might be irritating. Take the ring off to wash your hands. Avoid the sanitizers, dry your hands thoroughly and put the ring back after this have been resolved. Ask your doctor if you can use a cream.

In brief: The ring On and Off
Most likely a contact dermatitis.
Dr. Jose Soto
Dr. Jose Soto
Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dermatology
In brief: Two possibilities.
Either your skin is reacting to soap, dirt, and other crud that has accumulated under the ring, or to the metal in the ring itself.
First, clean the ring thoroughly, using an ultrasonic cleaner if you have one. (many jewelers will do this for free.) if the rash persists, it's probably due to one of the metals in the ring. Either way, stop wearing the ring for awhile; your husband will understand.

In brief: Two possibilities.
Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dr. Jane Van Dis