I have a huge purple bruise on my leg with no pain, but a very small ball I can feel at touch.I sprained my ankle on the same leg yesterday. What is it?

Dr. Thomas Namey
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology
In brief: Bleeding from sprain
A sprain involves tearing, to some extent, the ligaments and possibly tendons around the ankle.
Bleeding always occurs internally, but may be visible or not. The bruise with ball could represent a separate hematoma occuring with your injury, or seroma. If it doesn't go away, or your ankle cannot bear weight, see a doctor.

In brief: Bleeding from sprain
Dr. Thomas Namey
Dr. Thomas Namey
Dr. LUIS IRIZARRY
In brief: Sprained ankle
It looks you have soft tissue swelling with a bruise.
The bruise is bleeding due to straining the muscles, causing microteasr of muscle fibers. It does not mean you have torn mucle or ligamentes. Is a good sign you don't have pain, and it seems you can bear weight. However, is good idea to see doctor is swelling does not improve in the next 24-48 hrs. Use ace band and elevelate leg.

In brief: Sprained ankle
Dr. LUIS IRIZARRY
Dr. LUIS IRIZARRY
Dr. Payam Rafat
Podiatry
In brief: Have it looked at
A sprain injury can result in redness, bruising, swelling, pain, and possibly instability of the involved area.
An x-ray will be able to assist in differentiating a sprain form a fracture. Have it evaluated by a professional and get the appropriate treatment.

In brief: Have it looked at
Dr. Payam Rafat
Dr. Payam Rafat
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine