What is my iron level supposed to be at while pregnant? At my appointment, I was told my iron was at 10.5 & was low but no iron pills were prescribed.

Dr. Howard Lelvowitz
In brief: See below
I am guessing 10.
5 is your hemoglobin. Iron deficiency is common when pregnant due to fetal growth and supporting maternal and fetal growth simultaneous. I would ask your doctor if he recommends an iron supplement.

In brief: See below
I am guessing 10.
Dr. Howard Lelvowitz
Dr. Howard Lelvowitz
Dr. Yash Khanna
In brief: Iron or hemoglobin
That is not the iron level but hemoglobin level in your blood.
Normal hemoglobin in women is above 11.5.Your is little low, your doctor must have prescribed you prenatal vitamins which contains some iron.You need to have your blood level of iron.Iron binding capacity&feritin and if the original blood test indices suggest then B12 and Folic Acid level too discuss it with your OB doctor at next visit.

In brief: Iron or hemoglobin
Dr. Yash Khanna
Dr. Yash Khanna
Dr. Sharon Bass
In brief: Not your iron level
Normal iron levels in females are 50 to 200.
Your hemoglobin level at 10.5 is a little low since it is supposed to be 12.1 to 15.1. Low hemoglobin level can be caused by many things including low iron or because pregnancy causes more fluid in the blood vessels thus diluting the hemoglobin. Eat a diet rich in iron containing foods, such as liver and meats and vit c to help absorb it.

In brief: Not your iron level
Dr. Sharon Bass
Dr. Sharon Bass
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham