When inhaling my heart hurts and sometimes pops and hurts even more when deep breathing what's wrong with me?

Dr. Bennett Werner
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Not your heart

When you inhale, you're stretching intercostal and pectoralis muscles of the chest wall which can pop and are worse with deep breaths.
The more you think about it, the worse it gets. Relaxation, heat, and analgesics help: Ibuprofen (like motrin) or naprosyn (naproxen) (like aleve) are good ones. Viral infections of the lining of the lungs or heart can cause pleurisy but usually with fever +/- flu like sx.

In brief: Not your heart

Dr. Bennett Werner
Dr. Bennett Werner
Dr. Bennett Werner
You're welcome!
Dr. Pam Yoder
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Maternal Fetal Medicine

In brief: Will get internist A

This is a good q that deserves attention from one of ht's internal medicine specialists or subspecialists.
Please look for new answers and for comments below prior answers like mine.

In brief: Will get internist A

Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Pam Yoder
2 comments
Dr. Richard Rosenthal
I agree you should seek medical care soon. One thing to consider is that the pain is coming from something in the chest wall thus the popping sound. It may be caused by in inflammation of the joint between the rib and cartilage in you chest. If it hurts to press on, it is likely coming from some structure in your chest and not your heart. However, get an opinion from your doctor to be sure
Dr. Pam Yoder
Thanks for the rapid response, Dr. Rosenthal.
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology