Does seawater promote the healing of surface wounds and infections? If so, what are the likely causal mechanisms at play?

Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dermatology

In brief: No, no, no.

I've been hearing this for 30 years; swim in the ocean, your rash, wound, or whatever will heal.
This is further evidence that your parents are not doctors. Seawater contains nasty bacteria, particularly in estuaries and near rocks or coral, and in areas close to fisheries, mines, farms, stormwater drains and sewage plants. People have died. If you have a skin wound or rash, stay out of the ocean!

In brief: No, no, no.

Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dr. Scott Bolhack
Wound care

In brief: Seawater Cure

The issue with using seawater is that it is not sterile and could add bacteria to a wound.
The other part of the equation is that all wounds arecreated equal. We use sterile Normal Saline all of the time to cleanse wounds without damaging the good cells in the wound.

In brief: Seawater Cure

Dr. Scott Bolhack
Dr. Scott Bolhack