Why is it I can breathe much better lying down? Then when I wake up I find my sob much more obvious. What can this tell abt nature of my sob?

Dr. Bennett Werner
Internal Medicine - Cardiology
In brief: Breathing awareness
When you lie down, you reduce your lung volume due to restrictive effects and loss of gravity assisting diaphragm excursion.
Also, there is a redistribution of blood volume into the central circulation. Both may impair breathing when there is advanced lung or heart disease, respectively. If you're more short of breath sitting up, it suggests a psychosomatic component to your breathlessness.

In brief: Breathing awareness
Dr. Bennett Werner
Dr. Bennett Werner
Dr. Jason Hemming
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology
In brief: ? Liver
There ate rare vascular conditions as a consequence of liver disease that can produce sob that is better when lying flat.
See your md.

In brief: ? Liver
See your md.
Dr. Jason Hemming
Dr. Jason Hemming
4 comments
Dr. Bennett Werner
Dr. Hemming -I'm puzzled. What condition are you considering? Thanks!
Dr. Jason Hemming
Platypnea caused by Hepato-pulmonary syndrome.
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology