What are the STD risks associated with public restrooms?

Dr. James Eitner

In brief: Facilities vs. ??

I would say that the risk of picking up an std having sex with someone you met in the restroom would be fairly high.
However, simply using the facilities themselves, you would not be exposed to any stds. There are a number of bacteria and infections that you may come in contact with, which could infect open wounds (staph, mrsa), but your stds would require direct exposure to body fluids.

In brief: Facilities vs. ??

Dr. James Eitner
Dr. James Eitner
Dr. James Eitner
STDs no, other bacteria and viruses yes, however, it is no greater than any other public enclosure. If you are in the room at the same time or shortly after someone with active TB, measles, etc, you would run the risk of contracting the illness. The risk would not be any higher than the same senario in an elevator, small bar, etc. If you are concerned, I would limit the time spent in there.
Dr. Jane Van Dis