What are the elements in adult toothpaste that make it harmful for a baby?

Swallowing. The fluoride is a beneficial coating in adult/older kid toothpaste that can cause problems in young kids.Unfortunately they swallow the stuff instead of spitting it out.Fluoride gel is actually applied to infant teeth for its beneficial effects, but done where excess can be removed (not swallowed) .By 3-4 you can usually train the kid to spit out toothpaste excess and fluoride toothpaste is used.
Fluoride. Fluoride is the major difference. It can be toxic in the right amount which is determined by your weight. Babies weigh less and so a smaller amount of Fluoride will be needed for toxicity to occur.
Fluoride. Fluoride can cause harm to babies teeth and for that reason is not recommended to be use until the child knows and understands how to rinse and spit.