My 1 year old baby fell and hit his head, and he has a 1 inch diameter bump on the back of head. What should I do?

Dr. Patrick Hieber

In brief: Head injury

If no loss of conciousness, laceration of the scalp and normally oriented after being consoled , there is no special treatment needed.
He can be allowed to eat and nap normally. If he naps longer than normal, awaken him gently and observe for normal interaction. Danger signs would include repetitive vomiting, decreased level of conciousness and dramatic soft swelling at the point of impact.

In brief: Head injury

Dr. Patrick Hieber
Dr. Patrick Hieber
Dr. Cindy Juster