If general anesthesia isn't possible for toenail removal, what about an epidural?

Not really. There are much simpler options such as using injections of 'numbing' medication around the nerve, sedation, or even a spinal. For this minor procedure, an epidural can be used however it may be riskier than other options.
Questionable. An epidural may provide some pain relief from the procedure but it would not be a first choice. In this case the risks of an epidural would likely outweigh the benefits. A digital block, ankle block, or more proximal nerve block would work better and be more appropriate.