If two parents have high blood pressure, can they have a child of normal blood pressure?

Dr. Rajesh Boorgu
Internal Medicine - Nephrology & Dialysis

In brief: Yes it is possible

High blood pressure is a condition that is genetically transmitted but is not associated with any single one gene.
It also is associated with advancing age and most people will develop high blood pressure as there age passes 60. Therefore a child of a couple with high prevalence of high blood pressure can still be normotensive when young but can expect to develop high blood pressure later in life.

In brief: Yes it is possible

Dr. Rajesh Boorgu
Dr. Rajesh Boorgu
Dr. Clarence Grim
The strength of the association of child BP with parent BP has been shown to be very strong. On the average a child who has both parents with HTN will have a higher BP by 6 months of age than one whose parents both have normal BP. Twin studies show that the heritability of BP (genetic determination of BP level) is over 50%. I have spent my life looking for the genes that drive this. None found.
Dr. Cindy Juster