I my doctor is off when I go into labor, can I request to have a female ob/gyn deliver my baby?

Dr. Pam Yoder
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Maternal Fetal Medicine
In brief: Your baby/your right
An expectant couple should discuss in advance what physician or group to see for prenatal care.
Then they should ask the primary OB about backup plans if not on call or emergency. When there is a legitimate reason to need a female present at delivery, the couple certainly has the right to request one if available and appropriate given the circumstances. But the overriding goal=healthy mom + baby.

In brief: Your baby/your right
Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Craig Keathley
You have the right to ask for a specific provider, but that provider is not obligated to take you on unless she is on call.
After you go into labor is not the time to address this issue. Coverage arrangements and your wishes should be discussed during a prenatal visit well in advance.

Dr. Craig Keathley
Dr. Craig Keathley
Dr. Kevin Daus
In brief: Discrimination
You can ask, but this is sexual discrimination and may not be honored by the hospital.
Talk with your doc and get their in put on this matter.

In brief: Discrimination
Dr. Kevin Daus
Dr. Kevin Daus
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Thank you for reminding us of this way of looking at it, Dr. Daus!
Dr. Adam Levy