How to tell if a child has appendicitis or just a bad tummy ache?

David Escobar

In brief: E.R. Trip

This is something that needs to be assessed by a physician, likely in the emergency department.
Appendicitis will tend to present with abdominal pain, fever, nausea/vomiting. However, abdominal pain can be so many different things, it's best for a doctor to evaluate the child.

In brief: E.R. Trip

David Escobar
David Escobar
Answer assisted by David Escobar, Medical Student

In brief: Early screening

The appendix usually lays next to the inside part of the right groin muscle.
When inflamed, kids have difficulty walking upright, or hopping on either leg without > belly pain.I have parents evaluate both when they call the service after hours. If the kid is running around & playing i don't worry so much. When unsure, the best test is an exam by a trained physician & then i'm not always sure.

In brief: Early screening

Dr. Shontae Buffington