What will happen to me if I don't have surgery for a chiari malformation?

Dr. R. Scott Anderson
Radiation Oncology

In brief: Hydrocephalus

Fluid will build up in the ventricular system of the brain with a resultant increase in pressure inside the brain/skull.

In brief: Hydrocephalus

Dr. R. Scott Anderson
Dr. R. Scott Anderson
Dr. Estrada Bernard
Neurosurgery

In brief: It depends

The finding of a chiari i malformation may or may not be associated with symptoms.
If there are no symptoms and no neurologic dysfunction, surgery is not necessary. What happens over time varies. Most adults with an incidental finding will not eventually require surgery but a few will. One should be made aware of noteworthy signs and symptoms.

In brief: It depends

Dr. Estrada Bernard
Dr. Estrada Bernard
Dr. William Goldie
Pediatrics - Neurology

In brief: No change

I suspect you refer to chiari i found incidentally on mri.
This is probably just a incidental finding and may not be clinically relevant. However, consider it has been there all of your life and that you have lived with it 22 years. Unlikely it will change in the next 22 years.

In brief: No change

Dr. William Goldie
Dr. William Goldie
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery