How do folate, (folic acid) vitamin B12 and iron help in pregnancy for mom and baby?

Several benefits. Folate (folic acid) cuts back on fetal spina bifida risk, possibly heart defect, and, in some genetically susceptible people, can improve homosistein levels and coagulation errors.
Healthy mom, baby. Developing fetus will get the nutrients it needs from mom. It gets calcium from mom's blood (via mom's diet, or her bones-doesn't care). Need B12 and folate (folic acid) for normal neurological development, to prevent some congenital abn; needs iron for cell growth and development. Mom needs supplement to prevent deficiencies (increased needs due to fetal development).