Is nasacort (triamcinolone) also a asthma control medicine?

Dr. Duane Gels
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Used to be in US

Years ago triamcinolone was available via MDI with an attached spacer in the US and used as an asthma controller, but it was taken off the market, for reasons I am not certain.
I do not think there was any problem with the drug. It is an effective asthma medication, just as Nasacort works well for nasal allergies.

In brief: Used to be in US

Dr. Duane Gels
Dr. Duane Gels
Dr. Oscar Novick

In brief: Nasacort (triamcinolone)

No, nasacort (triamcinolone) is limited to symptoms of allergic rhinitis.

In brief: Nasacort (triamcinolone)

Dr. Oscar Novick
Dr. Oscar Novick
2 comments
Dr. Mandakini Patel
Some allergists use Nasacort as the mucosal lining from the nose runs into the respiratory system as well. Also, a lot of times, patients with asthma could have simultaneous allergic rhinitis as well.
Dr. Mandakini Patel
some allergists do use Nasacort for asthma as the mucosal lining that runs in the nose is continued on to the respiratory system. Some patients have simultaneous allergic rhinitis and asthma as well
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine