I have moderate to severe hip pain that gets worse when i move my left leg. My lower back hurts at times also. Can back issues be causing my hip pain?

Dr. Ronald Krauser
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: See details

It depends of what you are calling hip pai.
Hip joine pain in the groin area on top of the hip. Pain on the side or in the buttock is not hip pain but is related to back pain. Back pain is unlikely to cause true hip pain.

In brief: See details

Dr. Ronald Krauser
Dr. Ronald Krauser
Dr. David Lipkin
Arthritis of the hip usually causes anterior (frontal) hip pain or pain in the groin. Lateral hip pain is usually caused by bursitis and the area will be tender touch. Occasionally lateral hip pain us due to a local nerve condition. Posterior hip pain in the buttock is often due to a back problem: Usually caused by pressure on the Sciatic Nerve from a herniated or bulging disc in the spine.
Dr. Vikram Patel