Can you get shingles if exposed to chicken pox if you already had chicken pox as a child?

Dr. Mark Diamond

I believe that you can.

I believe that you can.
Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Mark Diamond

In brief: Probably not

Shingles is a localized emergence of the varicella virus along a regional nerve tract from poorly understood events but likely a waning of individual immunity to the virus.
Any significant varicella exposure is likely to boost immunity,rather than trigger a loss of immune protection. Anecdotal cases that suggest a link are not well documented.

In brief: Probably not

Dr. Barry Bergman

In brief: Debatable

Some say no you cannot activate shingle by coming in contact with live chickenpox.
Some however think you do. I don't.

In brief: Debatable

Some however think you do. I don't.
Dr. Barry Bergman
Dr. Barry Bergman
Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dermatology

In brief: That's one way.

Shingles is a localized recurrence of the chickenpox you had as a child.
There are probably several triggers capable of reactivating the virus and causing shingles, but one of them is reexposure to chickenpox as an adult, when your antibody level has dropped too low to fight off the new exposure. The shingles vaccine, zostavax, builds your antibody level back up to (hopefully) prevent that.

In brief: That's one way.

Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dr. Marsha Davis