Can olive oil cure dandruff?

Dr. Jerome Litt
Dermatology

In brief: NO

Olive oil may make the dandruff worse! dandruff can be cured by shampooing often.
(daily if possible) and with a tar shampoo such as t-gel or tarsum or head & shoulders (all are over the counter). I have no financial interest in these.

In brief: NO

Dr. Jerome Litt
Dr. Jerome Litt

In brief: The basics

Dandruff is composed of thickened patches of cells that do not shed from the scalp after they die.
They adhere to one another. Any oily substance can/does increase the adherence of these cells to each other and worsens the process. Using a shampoo with chemicals that break the bonds between these cells (common dandruff shampoo) is the primary treatment. Unresponsive cases may be another skin pbm.

In brief: The basics

Dr. Umesh Patel