Had sputum cytology test come back with atypical results, but not cancerous, i just has a CT scan and all clear as well. What could this be?

Dr. Inderjit Deol
Pathology

In brief: Sputum cytology

If report mentions that atypical cells present, but not cancerous, then it means they are reactive in nature, could be due to some inflammation or infection etc.
As CT scan is clear, so don't worry. Just follow doctor's advise.

In brief: Sputum cytology

Dr. Inderjit Deol
Dr. Inderjit Deol
Dr. Sewa Legha
Internal Medicine - Oncology

In brief: Need more info

Sputum cytology has low reliability for accuracy.
We need to know if you are a smoker and also why did you have your sputum cytology done in the first place? The fact that your ct chest is ok, reassures me that you do not have any obvious reason to have abnormal cytology.Yet you should remain under the supervision of your pulmonologist.

In brief: Need more info

Dr. Sewa Legha
Dr. Sewa Legha
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology