Can a child be allergic to whole peanuts but not allergic peanut butter?

Dr. Thomas Namey
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology
In brief: No
No, but the reverse can be true because of different " butter" formulations! very unlikely, but i must mention it.

In brief: No
Dr. Thomas Namey
Dr. Thomas Namey
Dr. Gary Steven
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology
In brief: No
The peanut protein is the same in all preparations of peanut.
The only exception is "peanut oil." if properly prepared and filtered, there is no peanut protein in peanut oil, so there can't be an allergic reaction to it. However, i would not bet my own child's life on whether some manufacturer didn't contaminate their oil with some protein. It's safest to avoid everything that says "peanut.".

In brief: No
Dr. Gary Steven
Dr. Gary Steven
Dr. Cindy Juster