3 doctors weighed in:

How many of us boomers (not old-timers) played with mercury from broken thermometers in the late 50s?

3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Glen Elliott
Pediatrics - Psychiatry
2 doctors agree

In brief: A great many

Pure mercury, of type you're describing, is not toxic, and one can play with it and even swallow it with impunity.
It's mercury oxides and other related compounds that potentially can produce significant toxicity--and it oxidizes readily if left out in the open air. The debate is, what kind of damage can it do over time , especially is low doses. Evidence suggests not much.

In brief: A great many

Pure mercury, of type you're describing, is not toxic, and one can play with it and even swallow it with impunity.
It's mercury oxides and other related compounds that potentially can produce significant toxicity--and it oxidizes readily if left out in the open air. The debate is, what kind of damage can it do over time , especially is low doses. Evidence suggests not much.
Dr. Glen Elliott
Dr. Glen Elliott
Thank
Get help from a real doctor now
Dr. Marsha Davis
Board Certified,
24 years in practice
67M people helped
Continue
108,000 doctors available
Read more answers from doctors