Today I found out that I had a high risk for open neural tube defect/ what do I do next ?

Dr. Richard Roberts
Clinical Genetics

In brief: How did you find out

Are you pregnant.
or was it from reviewing your family history? Before pregnancy, the risk of an NTD can be reduced to the general population risk by taking 4 mg of folic acid daily before you know that you are pregnant. NTDs occur before a woman knows that she is pregnant,so starting folate then is shutting the barn door after the horse is gone. If pregnant, you require appropriate diagnostics

In brief: How did you find out

Are you pregnant.
Dr. Richard Roberts
Dr. Richard Roberts
Dr. Marilynn Frederiksen
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Maternal Fetal Medicine

In brief: NTD

If you are at high risk for a neural tube defect the next step is usually counseling and an ultrasound examination of the fetus.
An amniocentesis may also be warranted.

In brief: NTD

An amniocentesis may also be warranted.
Dr. Marilynn Frederiksen
Dr. Marilynn Frederiksen
Dr. Cindy Juster