I bruised my toe nail while running. Any relief?

Dr. Ellen Wenzel
Podiatry
In brief: Subungual hematoma
Bruised toenails are fairly common in runners.
If the pressure of the blood collecting under the nail is not causing you too much discomfort, you can leave the nail in place and it will eventually fall off. If the pain is significant, the nail plate can either be punctured in the office to drain the blood pocket beneath it or it might be removed entirely.

In brief: Subungual hematoma
Dr. Ellen Wenzel
Dr. Ellen Wenzel
In brief: Bruise
All good answers , but in addition see your podiatrist to see if there is something causing the bruising like hallux extensus.

In brief: Bruise
Dr. Thomas Inwood
Dr. Thomas Inwood
In brief: Maybe
If you have bleeding under the toenail, you may want to try soaking in hydrogen peroxide to relieve some of the fluid.
You may need to see a doctor to have the blood removed from under the nail.

In brief: Maybe
Dr. Arnold Beresh
Dr. Arnold Beresh
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine