What is the ketogenic diet?

Low carb/high fat. The ketogenic diet is meant to keep a metabolism using fat breakdown to generate energy rather than carbohydrates. In the past, it has been used therapueticly for conditions like refractory epilepsy.
High protein,lowcarb. This is your basic atkins diet that focuses on high protein and low carb foods. These diets are usually higher in fat also. This results in your body preferentially burning fat as a fuel source and producing more ketones, which is the by-product of fat metabolism. This can be very effective in losing weight. Pick lean protein like fish and chicken and healthy fats like avocados, nuts&olive oil.