Is HSG fallopian tube test painful?

Dr. Scott Roseff
Fertility Medicine
In brief: Not really
The hsg causes cramps.
The discomfort one has can depend on such factors as her pain tolerance as well as who does the procedure and his/her expertise. For example, i perform all hsg's on my own patients and have done so for over 20 years. My techniques give less discomfort, for example, compared to a doctor who only does them on occasion or has only done them for a few years.

In brief: Not really
The hsg causes cramps.
Dr. Scott Roseff
Dr. Scott Roseff
Dr. Kevin Carson
Radiology - Interventional
In brief: For some patients
Some patients suffer discomfort, while other patients may have no pain.

In brief: For some patients
Dr. Kevin Carson
Dr. Kevin Carson
Dr. Scott Roseff
Fertility Medicine
In brief: Uncomfortable
I premedicate my hsg patients with 800 mg of Ibuprofen one hour prior to hsg.
It helps a great deal. I also do my own hsg's rather than send my patients to a facility to have someone else do it; the familiarity of seeing me along with gentle technique makes it a much more comfortable experience.

In brief: Uncomfortable
Dr. Scott Roseff
Dr. Scott Roseff
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham