How safe are bed wetting alarms?

Dr. David Vandersteen
Pediatrics - Urology
In brief: Completely safe
The safest most effective means of treating mono symptomatic bed wetting is the enuresis alarm. It has no side effects, requires no monthly copays, and never expires.
It will cure about 85% of pts who awaken. Ddavp (desmopressin) is the most commonly prescribed medication for this condition and is relatively safe but can lead to water intoxication and electrolyte abnormalities among other side effects.

In brief: Completely safe
Dr. David Vandersteen
Dr. David Vandersteen
Dr. Kevin Windisch
In brief: Safe
They are safe but not particularly effective.

In brief: Safe
Dr. Kevin Windisch
Dr. Kevin Windisch
Dr. George Klauber
I disagree. Results of prospective studies, with full parental cooperation, report a 70% CURE RATE. Dr. Windisch no doubt sees the alrm failures. Much more effective in long run than medication and much cheaper than psychotherapy. Psychotherapy, like the alarm may have dry nights occur sooner than would naturally occur if nothing was done!
Dr. George Klauber
Pediatrics - Urology
In brief: Extremely safe
Enuresis alarms, used correctly, are the best treatment iption to cure bed wetting.

In brief: Extremely safe
Dr. George Klauber
Dr. George Klauber
2 comments
Dr. Kevin Windisch
You may wish to read the 1974 article from pediatrics I cited yesterday. The authors show that therapy that involves the patient actively (which includes hypnosis) works best and bed wetting alarms had the highest failure rate.
Dr. George Klauber
Dr Windisch quotes a single article from 1974, which I would happily revue. I am reporting from my own considerable experience treating over a 1000 bed wetters over the years, plus experience of pediatricians, urologists & nephrologists plus peer revued literature.
Dr. Jonathan Jassey