What happens to cerebral palsy patients as they grow older?

In brief: Depends on degree

I have seen a non walking three year old whose family was told not to expect much, grow up to be a happy teen (with some learning problems & difficulty typing).
Each case is different and outcome varies with the intensity of the brain injury. Good nutrition, therapy & a suportive environment go a long way to make their lives enjoyable.

In brief: Depends on degree

Dr. William Goldie
Pediatrics - Neurology

In brief: They age like all

Cerebral palsy is just a disorder of motor control.
In most patients it is a stable condition that can be adapted to with special assistance. Normal life function can then occur with some modifications. Usual aging effects will occur just like for all of us. Regular diseases can occur just like for all of us. Bones and joints are more subject to fracture and arthritis but are manageable.

In brief: They age like all

Dr. William Goldie
Dr. William Goldie