If a retiree did not have chicken pox in childhood, is there any reason to get the shingles vaccine? Saw drug company ad about it.

Dr. Jerome Litt
Dermatology
In brief: SHINGLES VACCINE
If you never had chickenpox as a child, the consensus is that you can never develop shingles.
I do not recommend the vaccine for you.

In brief: SHINGLES VACCINE
I do not recommend the vaccine for you.
Dr. Jerome Litt
Dr. Jerome Litt
Dr. Richard Zimon
IT IS HIGHLY UNLIKLY that you "escaped" Chicken PoX as a child! HOW MANY BROTHERS/SISTERS DO YOU HAVE?????????????????????????
Dr. James Eitner
In brief: CDC Recommends
The center for disease control states "a person age 60 years or older who has no medical contraindications, is eligible for zoster vaccine regardless of their memory of having had chickenpox.
" i would recommend that you discuss your concerns with your doctor and the two of you can make a decision based on your own specific medical history.

In brief: CDC Recommends
Dr. James Eitner
Dr. James Eitner
In brief: Do they really know
Many studies show that in excess of 70% of those adults with no memory of chickenpox have antibodies showing they did at some point.
Availing yourself with the benefit of any vaccine is a luxury not available in much of the world.The germs hide in sensory nerve nodes in front of the vertebrae & come out if waning immunity allows it. Shot helps most,not all.It's nasty if you get it.Your choice.

In brief: Do they really know
Dr. Richard Zimon
In brief: UNLIKELY
you escaped Chicken Pox as a child.
...(Unless you were an only child and were home schooled!!) At any rate a simple blood test can tell. That said the vaccine is expensive and not %100 effective...Ask your Doctor for his/her opinio (NOT a Pharmacist who will try to sell you the vaccine) My Opinion Only! Dr Z

In brief: UNLIKELY
you escaped Chicken Pox as a child.
Dr. Richard Zimon
Dr. Richard Zimon
Dr. Arnon Rubin