I got high ankle sprain, 4 weeks ago.Booted. My heel looks crooked big bump, swollen and brusing on opposite of ankle. More painfull. Stepping hurts.

Dr. David Surdyka
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: More than a sprain

Who diagnosed the high ankle sprain? A bump on the heel not usually associated with high ankle sprain.
Pain and deformity in the back of the ankle suggests an achilles injury or even heel bone fracture. A true high ankle sprain should always be evaluated by an orthopedic surgeon because sometimes they need surgery if the ligaments between the tibia and fibula are completely torn.

In brief: More than a sprain

Dr. David Surdyka
Dr. David Surdyka
Dr. Karim Badawy
Podiatry

In brief: Further Testing...

Hello, Its very important to follow up with a high ankle sprain since these type of injuries can destabilize the ankle and promote accelerated degenerative joint disease.
Where do you see a big bump on your heel? If its posterior it may also be that you have a haglunds deformity developing. You will need to follow up with the specialist that "booted" you for further testing and evaluation.

In brief: Further Testing...

Dr. Karim Badawy
Dr. Karim Badawy

In brief: SYNDESMOSIS

A "high ankle sprain" indicates to me an injury to something called the syndesmosis.
Is that what you were told? Make sure the x-rays were looked at closely, to make sure the ankle is properly positioned within the syndesmosis. You may need further studies, like MRI or stress testing if you are not progressing. Surgery can also be performed, if indicated. Dr. Latva Dr. Latva

In brief: SYNDESMOSIS

Dr. Darrell Latva
Dr. Darrell Latva
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine