Can I drink alcohol while breastfeeding?

Dr. Lisa Roberts

In brief: No

In general, it is best not to consume alcohol while breastfeeding as alcohol can get into your bloodstream and then into your breastmilk.
That being said, the alcohol does not stay there indefinitely. If you care to consume alcohol, a reasonable alternative would be to feed with expressed breastmilk and "pump and dump" the milk that you make for a couple of hours after drinking to be cautious.

In brief: No

Dr. Lisa Roberts
Dr. Lisa Roberts
Dr. Jay Park

In brief: Yes, but...

Light drinking, generally less than 2 drinks per day, is allowed.
However, moderate drinking causes irritability or excessive sleepiness, weak suckling in breast-fed infants, and decreases milk supply. Breast feeding should be avoided during and for 2-3 hours after moderate drinking. Chronic or heavy drinkers should not breastfeed.

In brief: Yes, but...

Dr. Jay Park
Dr. Jay Park
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Addiction Medicine

In brief: NO!!!!

Alcohol crosses into breast milk, and is not safe for babies.
I am concerned that even by asking the question, you are indicating that alcohol is very important in your life. I think you need to look at this closely. Alcohol problems do not always relate to how much or how often you drink, but that it is more important than other things in your life, like your family or your health. Consult md.

In brief: NO!!!!

Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Dr. Shontae Buffington