Dysplastic nevus, or atypical moles, and they are benign lesions that resemble early melanoma, and about 1 in 10 million americans willmelanoma, what to do?

Watch carefully. Dysplastic nevi are potentially serious in that they can convert to infiltrating melanoma. In children with spitz nevus, they look malignant but never convert. In patients with neurofibromatosis there is a high incidence of dysplastic nevi and since many are present they are watched for changes in shape, darkening in color or redness around the lesion suggesting that they are converting.