How can I tell if my misbehaving child has an emotional disorder?

Dr. Mark Diamond
In brief: Try this
If your child has behavioral problems in other settings, such as day care, schools, friends homes etc, when you are not present this is a red flag.
If only with you present, it still is a problem, but less likely to be an emotional disorder.

In brief: Try this
Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Pediatrics - Developmental & Behavioral
In brief: Your pediatrician
should have Vanderbilt or other checklists for you & the teacher to complete to screen or assess for a neurodevelopmental disorder or mental illness.
After reviewing health, growth, developmental, behavioral & family history, performing physical & neurological exams & discussing your discipline practices & family stresses, (s)he then refers to an appropriate mental health provider, if necessary.

In brief: Your pediatrician
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Kevin Passer
Pediatrics - Psychiatry
In brief: Try a good book
I can recommend a good e-book.
It's called: parenting the kids according to a child psychiatrist. It's available on kindle for only $5.95, i think you will find it to be a tremendous help and good luck. Also, check out on amazon the dvd called: the 20 minute behavioral miracle.

In brief: Try a good book
I can recommend a good e-book.
Dr. Kevin Passer
Dr. Kevin Passer
Dr. Shontae Buffington