Is co-sleeping a good idea?

Dr. Russell Faust
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: No

The american academy of pediatrics (aap) does encourage co-sleeping as defined by your baby sleeping in the same room with you; let's call that room-sharing.
The aap does not endorse co-sleeping as defined by bed-sharing with small babies. This is a somewhat controversial area of pediatrics. Note that co-sleeping (bed-sharing) is the norm in many parts of the world. There are valid pros and cons.

In brief: No

Dr. Russell Faust
Dr. Russell Faust
Dr. Marcus Degraw

In brief: No

The medical community is pretty united that, under the age of 1 year, this is dangerous and should be avoided.
The data is pretty clear that this creates sleep conditions that often turn deadly for children. I personally sit on a pediatric death review board we have 5-10 deaths each month from co-bedding incidents. Some groups strongly advocate it however and claim it should be a choice.

In brief: No

Dr. Marcus Degraw
Dr. Marcus Degraw
Dr. Cornelia Franz

In brief: No

I have never endorsed co sleeping because it is not safe for the baby.
It also keeps parents from sleeping well as you are constantly attuned to the breathing and movement of the baby. I have had many parents have the co sleeper attached to the side of the bed. For breast feeding moms, it is mega convenient....Ultimately follow your instincts while using the guidelines that are available.

In brief: No

Dr. Cornelia Franz
Dr. Cornelia Franz
Dr. Russell Faust
I'm a big fan of the "co sleeper" that attaches to the side of the bed. Saves mom from going somewhere else to nurse.
Dr. Shontae Buffington