My child has asperger's syndrome. How do I find out if she qualifies for special education?

Dr. Neeta Jain

In brief: Asperger

The school system will assess her, then when she geta a diagnosis from a developmental pediatrician, put her in the therapy program. The school system itself will recommend her for the special education.

In brief: Asperger

Dr. Neeta Jain
Dr. Neeta Jain
Dr. William Drescher
Depending on the school district, you may find that you need to be VERY assertive in asking (demanding) for the support services for which your child qualifies.
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Pediatrics - Developmental & Behavioral

In brief: Take reports t from

The medical & psychological evaluations that document the diagnosis to the principal & request a multi-disciplinary team evaluation to develop an individualized educational plan that includes supports for "educationally relevant" behavioral, social skills & academic supports.
Dsm-v "lumps" as & pdd-nos into autistic disorder so that all can receive services, bec. The core deficits are the same.

In brief: Take reports t from

Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Johanna Fricke
2 comments
Dr. William Goldie
The new ICD 10 will not be recognizing Asperger's. There will be a lot of manipulation on both sides to avoid or redirect services and appropriate care.
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Trust me, I know. I was stating the intent of Autism researchers in " lumping" all ASD's. We'll see if it works.
Dr. William Goldie
Pediatrics - Neurology

In brief: Less likely now

New guidelines are coming out.
Dsm5 will limit the definition of autism. Asperger is very difficult to define. Schools are now overwhelmed with autism cases. Very few schools have funding and resources to provided adequate services. More restrictions will be coming. Do not depend on the school to provide enough.

In brief: Less likely now

New guidelines are coming out.
Dr. William Goldie
Dr. William Goldie
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Pediatrics - Developmental & Behavioral

In brief: Both doctors are

Correct. Schools may argue that the as is not " educationally relevant" if your child does well academically.
You, your child's db pede or child psychiatrist, & an educational advocate may have to explain that her being an excellent " data collector" does not mean she will understand concepts, nor why she should follow teachers' directions. Ask for a " section 504" at least, with a behavior plan.

In brief: Both doctors are

Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Johanna Fricke