What are long-term effects of bacterial meningitis?

Brain damage. Hearing loss, alterations in a wide range of neurological functions can occur. These are predominantly due to inflammation of the sheath of blood vessels entering the brain through the subarachnoid space (which the meninges surround). With brain swelling, herniation of the brain stem can occur, usually fatally. The type of damage will depend upon which areas of brain are attacked.
Should be apparent. Bacterial meningitis has the nasty tendency to produce a specific set of problems depending on how soon it was detected & how effective it was treated. Hearing loss was common, brain abscesses can lead to seizures & or movement problems (cp), learning disabilities & the like. As an adult, you either have some of these issues or not. They would have been apparent by school age at the latest.