As a 28-year-old and highly active male, is a single glass of wine on five nights per week likely to be beneficial or detrimental to my health?

In brief: In general it's fine

Assuming that you are generally healthy, that you have no substance abuse history, &that you are not using medications that should not be mixed with alcohol, a single glass of wine nightly should not hurt your health, &it may help your cholesterol profile, plus possibly it could help your social life (shared ritual and mild, useful disinhibition), &maybe, if used carefully, it aids stress management.

In brief: In general it's fine

Dr. Stephan Quenztel
Dr. Stephan Quenztel
Dr. Pam Yoder
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Maternal Fetal Medicine

In brief: Better ways 2 live?

An occasional glass of wine is not a problem. What is a concern is starting a habit that might be difficult to break.
It is also harder to self-monitor behavior when under the influence of alcohol, so that single glass of wine could lead to more. At 28 there are many more fun and interesting things to do.

In brief: Better ways 2 live?

Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Pam Yoder
2 comments
Dr. Pam Yoder
Let's ask the experts! In addition to being a physician, I am a psychologist but not a specialist in dreams or sleep medicine.
Dr. Nicholas Fogelson
I think most Europeans would find your behavior quite typical and not concerning at all. Americans have a somewhat puritanistic view of alcohol in my opinion. I think you have to ask yourself if you are having a glass of wine because you enjoy it, or because you need it. It certainly isn't enough alcohol to hurt you physically.
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Addiction Medicine

In brief: Impossible to say

Small amounts of alcohol have been found in some people to raise the level of good cholesterol (HDL) - one to two drinks daily in men, one in women and men over 60.
However, alcohol together with aspirin and ibuprofen (which is itself not a good combo) may vastly increase chances of bleeding and other side effects. This question should be asked of your doctors. Red wine can increase migraine.

In brief: Impossible to say

Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Dr. Adam Levy