Can a hiatal hernia cause nausea?

Unlikely. Hiatal hernias do not usually cause symptoms. In some cases, though, hiatal hernias cause stomach acid to leak into the esophagus. This is called acid reflux or gastroesophageal reflux, and it can cause symptoms, including: ?burning in the chest, known as heartburn ?burning in the throat or an acid taste in the throat ?stomach or chest pain ?trouble swallowing ?a raspy voice or a sore throat.
GERD symptoms. Symptoms of gerd can include epigastric pain, regurgitation, bloating after meals and nausea. Hiatal hernia is often seen with gerd, but patients may have a hiatal hernia but not have gerd.