Any side effects to iron supplements? I have anemia & am starting 60mg of a slow release tablet of iron tonight. Anything I should know before taking?

Dr. Randy Baker
Holistic Medicine

In brief: Constipation and...

Iron supplements often cause constipation and will turn your stool black.
They can also cause stomach upset and occ. Diarrhea and cramping- these tend to lessen over time. But they are usually well-tolerated. Taking vit. C with them improves absorption. The best-absorbed form of iron is actually iron bis-glycinate so you might want to try that form.

In brief: Constipation and...

Dr. Randy Baker
Dr. Randy Baker
Dr. ALICIA Almendral

In brief: Upset stomach

Iron supplement common side effects include stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, constipation, diarrhea and dark stools.
Try taking it with meals and at night time.

In brief: Upset stomach

Dr. ALICIA Almendral
Dr. ALICIA Almendral
Dr. Andrea Brand