Why does my midback hurt after running and what can I do to prevent this?

Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Please be carefull

Please be careful with back pain.
It could be something as simple as muscle imbalance, or something worse. When you find the reason you could address the issue in a direct way. Good luck thanks.

In brief: Please be carefull

Please be careful with back pain.
Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Dr. Jeffrey Sider
Sports Medicine

In brief: Warm up. stretch

I have found that sometimes the back area can tighten up after running.
I believe that running at a distance at a steady pace and then resting or sitting down exacerbates lower back pain and tightness. My suggestion would be to stretch the lower back after running and keep moving after a long run and not sit down for awhile after running ie. Walk for a few minutes.

In brief: Warm up. stretch

Dr. Jeffrey Sider
Dr. Jeffrey Sider
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine