What are the bald, light red patches on my 2 year olds scalp that I noticed last month? The skin looks slightly dehydrated, but is not flaking.

Dr. Thomas Namey
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology
In brief: Several common...
Both psoraisis or eczema\can cause what you decribe.
Eczema appears drier and less scaling than psoriasis. Some other less common problems may be to blame. If mild hydocortisone does not alleviate the problem, used in conjuction with zinc pyrithione shampoo, then see your doctor!

In brief: Several common...
Dr. Thomas Namey
Dr. Thomas Namey
Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dermatology
In brief: Contrary to...
...The previous answer, neither psoriasis nor eczema cause hair loss, so if the patches are "bald" as you say, it is neither of those.
The most common cause of bald patches is a temporary condition called alopecia areata. Fungus infections of the scalp can also cause hair loss, but it usually takes longer than a month. Let a dermatologist check it out and offer treatment.

In brief: Contrary to...
Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dr. Joseph Eastern