What time is best to take Zoloft (sertraline) for anxiety morning or night? Would taking it at night lose its effect by morning time?

Dr. Robert Woods

In brief: AM vs PM

Zoloft (sertraline) is considered to be neither activating nor sedating.
I recommend a patient start taking zoloft (sertraline) in the am (with food to promote absorption). If one becomes sleepy or tired later in the day i move it to bedtime. I don't start a medication at night that could induce insomnia you would have an upset patient in the am. After taking zoloft (sertraline) for several days you will have 24 hour coverage.

In brief: AM vs PM

Dr. Robert Woods
Dr. Robert Woods
Dr. Harris Cohen

In brief: Zoloft (sertraline)

There is no rule of thumb -- start with the medicine at bedtime -- if you find that it is keeping you awake, take it in the morning -- see what works best for you.

In brief: Zoloft (sertraline)

Dr. Harris Cohen
Dr. Harris Cohen