Is removing the adenoids in a 6 month old baby a recommended thing if they are enlarged? Isn't he too young for this procedure?

Dr. Esther Cheung-Phillips
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Probably

6 months is young to undergo adenoidectomy.
Kids who need their adenoids out usually have them out as young as 2 years old for sleep apnea or recurrent ear infections. If you are unsure as to why your child is having surgery, you should visit the surgeon again or get another opinion.

In brief: Probably

Dr. Esther Cheung-Phillips
Dr. Esther Cheung-Phillips
Dr. Gregory Fehr
Emergency Medicine

In brief: Adenoids

The tonsils and adenoids are a "lymphoid ring", part of the immune system. It is very large in children and decreases with age until almost nonexistant into adulthood.
The "t&a" operation, once common in the '60's has greatly decreased. I am not familiar with such an operation in infants. I would certainly seek 2nd and even 3rd opinions from qualified ENT specialists.

In brief: Adenoids

Dr. Gregory Fehr
Dr. Gregory Fehr

In brief: Never seen it done

In more than 3 decades as a pediatrician I have never seen a kid have that surgery under the age of 3.
Since I refer all cases to ENT's, it has been my pleasure to deal with an ENT group that was not "knife happy". I would look for another doc if yours is recommending this.

In brief: Never seen it done

Dr. Cindy Juster