Why does my heart speed up after I eat?

Dr. Charles Pollick
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Less than 5 bpm

Unless there is caffeine in the food, i doubt it would rise by more than 5 bpm.

In brief: Less than 5 bpm

Dr. Charles Pollick
Dr. Charles Pollick
Dr. Dan Fisher
Absolutely correct. I do not feel there should be much HR rise post meal although there may be some outliers. Any neurostimulant could contribute to a rise in HR. On a theoretical note, HR rise might be mitigated by the effect of "alkaline tide" and decreased respiration post meal.
Dr. Dan Fisher

In brief: Work of digestion

Primarily due to increased work of digestion.
The body gets really busy pumping blood and enzymes to the GI tract after a meal. There are other hormonal factors and some related to direct nerve stimulation, but they are likely of less short term importance. Any hot foods or alcohol will also produce some blood vessel dilation which would also tend to increase your heart rate.

In brief: Work of digestion

Dr. Dan Fisher
Dr. Dan Fisher
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology