Why does my heart speed up after I eat?

Dr. Charles Pollick
Internal Medicine - Cardiology
In brief: Less than 5 bpm
Unless there is caffeine in the food, i doubt it would rise by more than 5 bpm.

In brief: Less than 5 bpm
Dr. Charles Pollick
Dr. Charles Pollick
Dr. Dan Fisher
Absolutely correct. I do not feel there should be much HR rise post meal although there may be some outliers. Any neurostimulant could contribute to a rise in HR. On a theoretical note, HR rise might be mitigated by the effect of "alkaline tide" and decreased respiration post meal.
Dr. Dan Fisher
In brief: Work of digestion
Primarily due to increased work of digestion.
The body gets really busy pumping blood and enzymes to the GI tract after a meal. There are other hormonal factors and some related to direct nerve stimulation, but they are likely of less short term importance. Any hot foods or alcohol will also produce some blood vessel dilation which would also tend to increase your heart rate.

In brief: Work of digestion
Dr. Dan Fisher
Dr. Dan Fisher
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology