My son has what I thought was a cut on the corner of his mouth.It's getting worse and I have been putting hydrocortisone on. Anything else to try?

Dr. JUDY WASHINGTON

In brief: Get it evaluated

I do not recommend steroid on the face unless there is a condition that has been diagnosed and is proven to respond to steroid treatment.
Your seen needs to be evaluated. This could be a fungal infection. The treatment is different.

In brief: Get it evaluated

Dr. JUDY WASHINGTON
Dr. JUDY WASHINGTON
Dr. Nela Cordero

In brief: HERPES SIMPLEX

It could be viral.
Try using kenalog (triamcinolone) in orabase. Good luck!

In brief: HERPES SIMPLEX

It could be viral.
Dr. Nela Cordero
Dr. Nela Cordero
2 comments
Dr. Bac Nguyen
why kenalog cream if you suspect viral/herpes simplex?
Dr. Stephen Calendine
can be angular cheilitis from saliva keeping the crease at the corner of his mouth too moist all the time. I've had patients apply the oil from vitamin D capsules with success. Just nip off the end of a capsule and dab the oil by fingertip twice a day to the cut.
Dr. Shontae Buffington