I had duel scaphoid, arm and hand fractures in 2003. I had surgery on the right wrist and hand. What kind of long term pain should I expect?

Dr. Kenneth Tepper
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Depends

It depends if the fractures were displaced, how the fracture healed, and how much of the joint was involved.
As your injuries are already 8-9 years old, you should have a good idea depending on your current function.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Kenneth Tepper
Dr. Kenneth Tepper
Dr. Nolan Segal
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Could be chronic

Scaphoid fractures are prone to many long term complications.
Associated injuries compound these. Most common is arthritis with collapse of the wrist joint. Additional treatment might be needed.

In brief: Could be chronic

Dr. Nolan Segal
Dr. Nolan Segal
Dr. Francisco Schwartz-Fernandes
Surgery - Hand Surgery

In brief: Scaphoid fractures

After surgery don't hurt for long (if healed well).
You may experience some discomfort along the scar. If you developed arthritis you can have some chronic pain. A new x-ray and re evaluation maybe a good thing.

In brief: Scaphoid fractures

Dr. Francisco Schwartz-Fernandes
Dr. Francisco Schwartz-Fernandes
Dr. Mark Einbecker
Surgery - Hand Surgery

In brief: Impossible to say

This sounds like a very serious injury and without seeing how the bone healed and other soft tissue injury the amount of latter pain would be hard to predict under the best of circumstances.
Pain is also very subjective and what doesn't bother you may be incapacitating for another.

In brief: Impossible to say

Dr. Mark Einbecker
Dr. Mark Einbecker
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery